For me, I have often misused my tongue to insult, tear down, profane and speak failure. I did not realise how powerful the tongue is until I read this book. I’ll like to highlight key lessons from this short book to bless those who like me, need God’s help to heal our tongue.
- Our tongues are an indicator of the condition of our hearts.
- Do we keep a tight rein on our tongue? If not, our religion is worthless.
- Our words determine our destiny. Do we believe God’s promise to us or do we say otherwise?
- Diseases of our tongues:
- Excessive talking
- Idle or careless words
- Hastiness of Speech
- The root of the problem of our tongues is our heart (Matt 12:33-35; James 3:9-12).
- 3 Steps to healing of our tongue:
1. Call your problem by its right name – sin.
“I have a problem with my tongue. It is sin.”
2. Confess your sin and receive forgiveness and cleansing (1 John 1:7-9)
3. Refuse sin and yield to God
Say “No” to sin and “Yes” to God. When sin challenges you, say, “No, I will not yield to you; I will not yield the parts of my body. Above all, I will not yield that member which causes most of the trouble: my tongue. Sin, you cannot control my tongue any longer.” The turn to God and say, “God, I yield my tongue to You, and I ask You to control the member which I cannot control.” You need the Holy Spirit to control your tongue.
- God gave us a tongue to glorify Him. Either our tongue leads to hell fire or Holy Spirit fire.